7.05.2009

Caught RED Handed

It's been yet another month of busy craziness and I haven't had time to post anything. Tonight I'm "making time" and getting this done. The following pictures are a compilation of our activities throughout the last month.

We got raspberries... Turns out Kolea loves raspberries! She had a great time getting all nasty from the yummy raspberries, she even cried when they were all gone.
Kolea has discovered a new favorite game! She got this far with the wipes because Ryan and I were trying to eat our dinner in peace. It worked. We were undisturbed and she had a blast.
Yes, that's a huge pile of wipes there. Hunter and Gabriella thought it was a fun game too and couldn't figure out why this was OK to do. Well, we didn't notice right away. Instead of getting mad, I got the camera. After the picture I began to put all of the wipes away. Gabriella started wiping down her body and then mopping the floor with them. She has dirt issues. =)

Last weekend 6/25 -6/28 we went to Utah for our annual Wilkey Family Reunion. On Thursday, 6/25, the day before we went up to the camp we spent the day in Provo where we'd gotten a hotel. We wanted to walk around BYU and show the kids "mommy's old stomping grounds." Of course, they've done so much renovating and BYU it's not exactly "old." =)
We met up with one of my best friends, Leslie and her son Aaron. Gabriella and Aaron are only 11 days apart. Leslie and I were companions on the mish. We were only together for one month - I think the Pres saw that we were having too much fun together. Just kidding. But that month was all we needed to solidify an eternal friendship. Leslie's husband died a year and a half ago. She is the epidome of strength. I love you Ell!
We also wanted to find the building where Ryan would be testing on Saturday. He had the opportunity to test out of his Spanish and receive 12 credits for it. So he has a bit of a head start (a tiny bit) when he begins school at BYU-Hawaii in January. Way to go Ry!
Among visiting with family members and reliving the glory days, we encountered our old friend, the rain on Friday 6/26. There was a HUGE rain storm that lasted about an hour if not longer. Most everyone (women and children) escaped to their RV's, cars, or tents to get out of the rain and stay dry. The men worked on their "boats" for the upcoming Regatta race that was invariably postponed to the next morning.

Kolea had fallen asleep in her stroller before the rain storm began and then stayed that way through the duration of the storm under a tarp next to our picnic table. It was really bizarre. I would check on her periodically and the "gentle" lull of the storm kept her in dream land. And there she sat, in her infant seat in the stroller-- under a giant tarp that was covering the picnic table. I'm sorry now that I didn't take a picture of it. It was hilarious!

So this picture is of Kolea after she'd woken up. Luckily there was only a light drizzle at that point. She had no sweatshirt or coat. Just a long sleeve shirt and her blanket. So she is looking a little dazed and confused.
Gabriella is having a great time eating auntie Emily's candy during a card game.
Ahhhh. Back at the hotel Friday night. Nice and dry. Just enjoying being together- and dry. Did I mention that we were dry and comfortable?
Hunter's favorite spot. The pull out couch in the hotel room, watching cartoons. That kid could sit and watch cartoons ALL DAY. No joke. But we seriously have to limit it b/c it makes him really mean and cranky! And yet he's so peaceful and placid when he's watching...
Smile for the camera! Just getting ready for bed. We had to beg the kids to go to bed that night. Ryan and I were so tired and the kids were wired! It's 11 pm go to sleep!!
On Saturday 6/27, after Ryan's test we stopped by Emily and Paul's cute house and then headed to SLC. I got to visit with my friend, Annie who was my landlady for 6 months in the mish. She was from a place called Wolverhampton. She and two of her grand daughters were here b/c the girls were headed to EFY in the coming week.

Anyhow, I LOVE Annie. She always said the funniest things and called us (missionaries) names. Now she's calling my kids names. Gabriella was being a real pill and kept going near the busy street like she had a death wish. Annie said "that funny little faggot!" I about died. It was hilarious. And later in the evening she picked up Kolea and said "well aren't you just a little faggot?" It was hysterical. Then she turns to me and asks, "You know that a faggot is a meatball, right?" Are you peeing your pants right now? Because I was when she asked me. I actually thought it was a bundle of sticks and I told her that. I couldn't figure out why she kept calling my kids bundles of sticks! But no. Alas, she was calling them meatballs! Who would've guessed? It's actually a term of endearment coming from Annie. I love Annie. I miss her.
After my visit with Annie and her grand daughters I went back to Temple Square to join the rest of my family as the sun was setting. I am a lucky girl. Kolea is in the stroller asleep which is just outside of the picture.
I took this picture as we were leaving Temple Square. I think I may frame this one. I did not doctor this picture at all except to crop it a little at the edges. As far as the coloring, it's the original. As God painted it. Who can deny there is a God?
Speaking of which... on Monday, 6/29 Ryan and I went to a concert at the infamous Red Rocks amphitheater. We saw the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. This was their last performance at the end of a two week tour. Did you know they are called "America's Choir?" Cool huh? It was Ronald Regan that first called them that and the title stuck!

Anyhow, Lloyd Newell who is their announcer (or MC) came to the mike and began to welcome everyone, especially dignitaries (like some Senators) that were there by invitation. Then right before he sat down he said he wanted to welcome one other special guest who was there that evening. Bro. Newell went on to welcome "The President of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints." There was an in-take of breath from the crowd as everyone looked to see where the PROPHET was sitting. Then he stood, 7 rows in front of us and turned and waved at everyone! It was so awesome and everyone clapped and laughed. It was great! So the "dignified" guests had received a polite clap when their names were announced, but President Monson received a full on cheer when his name was announced. It was an unparalleled sight.

You can see President Monson facing the crowd (in the middle of the pic) with his hand raised in the air.
During intermission I bounded down the rows to get an upclose picture of the Prophet. I've never been so close to a Prophet before. I was standing on the same row where he was sitting and I stood directly behind a body guard. You can tell by the picture that I was standing on his left. He was facing the crowd that was forming in front, taking his picture and then he would greet children that came up to him from his right. So I never got a straight on picture, but I was only 4 feet away- if that. At one moment I called out his name, but he didn't hear me. I didn't exactly want to yell it. I didn't feel it was right to scream the Prophet's name! Can you just imagine?? HEY PRES. MONSON! LOOK AT ME SO I CAN TAKE YOUR DANG PICTURE OF YOUR WHOLE FACE! Probably not the best thing. So I was content with his profile. =)

I stood there for about 10 minutes soaking in the Spirit that surrounded our latter-day prophet and then someone bumped into me and I kneed the body guard in the bum as I struggled to keep my balance. Oops! Luckily it didn't phase him.
What a fantastic evening. And the choir? They were good too. =)

3 comments:

Amanda said...

That's so cool about the President Monson! It was good to see you, even though it was only for a little while!

Tamara said...

What a great post! I was laughing so hard at the "little faggots" comment! A meatball!? Who knew? That is awesome about Prez. Monson too. I hope to someday be that close to our prophet. Wish we had more then just a few hours together at the campout. Love you and see you in 3 weeks!!

kris nielsen said...

Hi Chandra!

I found you from a comment you put on Anna-Lena and Eric's blog. You have an adorable family!