1.27.2010

Recipe

OK ladies (and gents) this is basically what I did for the curry. However, I tend to add a little here and there for whatever my taste buds feel like... So all of these amounts are approximate. You will need to taste it along the way. =)

Also, it fed four adults and three children with normal portion sizes. Otherwise, I'd say about four large adult portion sizes.

Put 2 Tbs. of OLIVE OIL in a pan on med. high heat. Throw in some (about 1/4 c.) ONIONS and 1 Tbs. of GARLIC. Sautee these to a beautiful golden brown then throw in...

3 CHICKEN BREASTS cut up however you like.

Next, take 3 medium sized TOMATOES and puree them; dump them in the pan. Let this cook for a few minutes...

Then add 3 Tbs. CURRY POWDER, 2 tsp. FENUGREEK, 1 tsp. CUMIN and a dash of CINNAMON. Mix it all up really well and be sure to SALT and PEPPER to taste. Turn the heat to medium and let it simmer for about 5 minutes. WAIT!! I almost forgot. I also added about a Tbs. of fresh grated GINGER to the mix. If you don't have the fresh stuff (I bought mine from a local farmer) then use powdered GINGER. Just don't forget it. =)

As all of this goodness is cooking together you will smell a most heavenly smell. =)

After everything has been simmering then add a can of coconut milk. Actually one can from the store might be a little too much. So just add until you feel you have the right consistency- and DON'T FORGET TO TASTE IT! You must taste along the way. Is there too much salt? Add more coconut milk. Too little?? Add more salt, silly! Not enough curry powder? Add another teaspoon... You get the picture.

Anyhow, at this point you can add one cubed POTATO if you'd like or 1 cup of frozen PEAS. You know, whatever strikes your fancy. But those seem to be common veggies used in curry. I added a potato the other day b/c that's all I had on hand. And it was raw when I added it so I let it fully cook in the sauce and I'd cooked the chicken/ onions separately then added them to the curry after the potatoes were nearly done. I didn't want the chicken to be all rubbery from being in the pan for too long, make sense?

Of course, before you start all of this you want to put on some rice so that it's all done at the same time. And ENJOY! Let me know how it turns out!

3 comments:

Leah said...

Thanks for the recipe, I'll definitely have to try it!

Becky said...

That does sound so good!!! Thanks for the new idea. I am loving reading about your adventures in Hawaii!!! Love you!

Bethany said...

I can't wait to try it! I've got to get to the store and get coconut milk. Thanks for posting it so quickly!