2.15.2010

Our Happenings

I know why it takes me so long in between posts. The problem is that I always see "posting" as a time consuming process. So I need to wait until I have about an hour to actually do it! Problem is, I have so many other things on my plate that the idea of taking "AN HOUR" can be overwhelming. So you are all lucky as today is President's Day and I have some extra time on my hands!

This was Kolea on Saturday (2/13) night. She was outside eating a cookie (I wouldn't let her come in with it) and she VERY BADLY wanted to come in! I thought it was hilarious that she started to climb the screen! When I first saw her- before grabbing the camera, she was actually completely standing up on that tiny ledge of the screen door. What a silly girl!


Earlier that day we had had a Latin Fiesta. None other than the fact that we wanted to eat some really yummy food and share it with friends! So it became a simple pot luck, complete with a pinata. Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures of the spread. It was pretty awesome! Not one person left hungry. =)

We allowed a few hits per child and did a couple of rounds before all of the parents got tired of standing there. We started youngest to oldest and by the time we reached Hunter a second time (he was the oldest) we all just told him to have at it! After about 8 great hits he knocked the thing down. It was really fun!
Braden!
Nate!
Axle!
Kiya!
Gabriella!
Lili!
And Hunter!
* * * * * * * * * * *

My parents came to visit last week! We had a lot of fun and did a lot of relaxing. Mostly it was nice just for them to be in our home, feel of their spirits and let them see how we live life here in Hawaii! Unfortunately I didn't take a lot of pictures with my camera because we always had their camera out! But there were a few fun shots.

We went to the PCC on Tuesday night for a Luau and the Night Show. In between those two events we had some time to kill and they had a caricature done of themselves. It was really cute! First they are being sketched, then colored.
Here is the finished product-- SURPRISE!!
Not the only time I've seen my mom in a bikini (do old photos count?) Or my dad playing the Ukulele! The artist was inspired! Ha! Super cute. =)
During the Lu'au. Awwww. And thanks Paige for babysitting the kiddos so we could have a fun evening out!

The night before all of this... Monday (2/8) Kolea had been running a fever all day. She wouldn't eat very much either and those were the extent of her symptoms. At 6 pm I gave her some Motrin b/c she felt so hot. Then a few minutes later I took her temp. It was 104.6!

HELLO!!! We usually run a mid 97 degrees! That is a whole SEVEN DEGREES hotter than normal! She was all red- even her eyeballs were on fire! It was kind of scary! So my dad and I packed her up into the car and took the 40 minute drive to the hospital. Luckily there was no one in front of us when we walked into the E.R. and we were seen right away. We arrived around 7 pm and her fever had already dropped to 101.6. They were probably wondering what the heck we were doing there.

I explained that none of my children had EVER had a fever so high and I didn't know what to do. And since she didn't have any other symptoms, I didn't know what the deal was. She was tested for Strep Throat (b/c two weeks earlier I was at that hospital with Hunter who DID have strep throat) and tested for a UTI. Poor baby. All of this poking and prodding.

We learned that b/c I was holding her on the hospital bed while the tests were being done, she didn't want to sit there anymore. She quickly learned that the bed was the "hot seat" and unpleasant things happened there! She only wanted to wander around the room while we waited for the results- which came back negative for both. Yay!

So they said she MIGHT have some virus that COULD manifest itself and we'll just have to wait and see. In the future, I was told that I can wait to see if the fever responds to Tylenol and Motrin or if it stays really high for up to 12 hours before bringing her into the E.R. And she obviously responded to the Motrin. By the time we left she was running around the room, quite happy! And her body temp was a nice 97.3 degrees. Ahhh, that's more like it!

This was earlier that day at the DOLE Pineapple Plantation with G'ma and G'pa. She had been holding G'pa's hand right up until I snapped this photo. So stinkin' cute!
This is also at the DOLE Pineapple Plantation just a few days earlier! We were able to go on a field trip with Gabriella's Bright Beginnings Pre-school class. It was a lot of fun! And Hunter had Furlough Friday that day so he was able to come too! Here we are on the train right before it took us along on a 2 mile tour of the plantation's fields! So cool!
The kids were enjoying the KOI pond. Those fish were going crazy!
They are all trying to get the food! Nuts-o fishies!

3 comments:

Sara Ann said...

How fun! I am glad that your parents could come visit:)

Ashleigh said...

I LOVE that picture of a happy little Kolea after the hospital trip. She is such a cutie.

And are those fish jumpin out of the water? It looks like it in these pictures. Crazy!

Susan said...

Hey Chandra! We found your blog! Thanks again for the awesome Fiesta!!!