3.28.2009

Some Thoughts

I was thinking that I ought to make this (my blog) more of an on-line journal.  The blogs that are the most interesting to read are those that really put their heart and soul into whatever is being blogged about- as most of you already do.  I feel like I'm just beginning to catch the vision.  Is it because I don't have anything interesting to say?  Or that nothing exciting ever happens?  No that can't be it - I'm a mom of three.  Exciting and interesting things happen every day!  However, I realized that I simply don't remember very many of these remarkable incidents because I am in fact a mom who seems to be losing more than her fair share of brain cells on a daily basis due to this most beloved and coveted "job."

As a mom I can tell you what each of my children like to eat, watch, play, wear, etc.  What their playtime habits, bath time habits, dirty habits (like using a finger instead of a tissue- yuck) etc.  I can also tell anyone our daily routine, what's in the diaper bag at any given time, what game to play next, when someone needs a hug, or some discipline, etc.  How do I do and know all of this stuff when usually I can't remember the funny story from yesterday.  Why is that?  It bugs!

Every once in a while I am allowed a glimpse of the bigger picture.  I know my purpose.  I know what I am to teach my children.  And I know that my children love me.  I also know that these thoughts all seem disjointed, but that's OK.  After all this is my blog, these are my thoughts.

A few weeks ago Hunter began telling me that he loved me multiple times a day, like other than at night or before going off to pre-school.  He would be in the middle of playing something, stop and say "mommy, I love you."  This happens so many times a day now that even Gabriella has caught on.  She will climb up on my lap and say the same thing.  What a precious gift.  

Whenever we have a day where a child is crying and whining and upset about something that is non-monumental I will ask that child "Are you having a bad day?"  I usually get an affirmative response, but then my child knows that I am sympathetic to their mood and we can move on with our day...  Well last week we were at Disneyland for Spring Break.  Hunter went on Soarin' with his aunties and uncles and had a great time- it was the first ride of the day and "[he] wasn't even scared!"  He sat down on a bench to wait while Ryan and I took our turn on the ride and Hunter suddenly started crying.  He apparently poked is eyeball really hard with his fingernail.  How that happened?  I have no idea, but it did and it really hurt him.  I was trying to comfort him and he couldn't be consoled.  Hunter looked up into my eyes with big tears in his and said "I'm having a bad day."  It was a moment where my heart broke in two.  You know that saying in the scriptures "my heart was full."  I had that kind of a moment.  It was so full of love for this little child who was in pain.  I wanted to take it away from him and couldn't.  The day wore on and he slept for the next 2-3 hours in the stroller that we'd rented for him.  We think that he had scratched his eyeball pretty badly- he couldn't even open his eye without crying.  We were at Disneyland for heaven's sake!  But Hunter seemed to be down for the count.  Ryan finally gave him a blessing.  A quiet, reverent blessing of healing in the middle of Disneyland.  The Lord answers our humble prayers and will bless his little children who are so full of faith.  Hunter was healed  almost immediately.  He opened his eyes and was ready to go on rides!  He also wanted to head straight for the Indiana Jones ride where he could get a sweet eye patch (which at that point he didn't need anymore.)  We are so lucky- is that even the right word? to have the gospel of Jesus Christ in our lives.  To have a knowledge of it and call upon his name at any given time or place.  And I am blessed - that is the word- to have married a man who is a worthy Priesthood holder.  Someone who can act with the power of God and heal a hurting child.  

So I may have a crappy memory and deal with the daily grind of motherhood, but it is my life and I know I am blessed.  What is important is my testimony of the Savior.  That is what gets me from here to there, from there to here, it will get me anywhere.  Had to throw in some Dr. Seuss.  I'm a mom and that is what's on the brain. 

4 comments:

The Woolley's said...

Thank you. I need to be reminded and remember more often why I've been blessed with my children and my purpose as their mother. That was a super sweet story about Hunter too.

Courtney said...

beautifully written Chandra...thanks for sharing your thoughts...

yes, we do need to get together this week sometime...I will call you soon..

kelsey said...

I have found my blog a great place to just let it all out, the good and the bad. Being a mom is tough. And nobody understands that as much as other moms. But being a mom is an incredible blessing, and of course, nobody understands that as much as other moms. I have learned alot through sharing my thoughts on the blog. So keep sharing. Keep learning.

Tamara said...

k, I'm crying. You are such a great example of motherhood and an LDS woman living her faith. Thanks sis.