9.15.2011

Gabrilla's Super "C" & Other Random Activities...

This would originally be a post broken into 3- but since I'm so many moons behind and playing catch up, this will have to suffice!

In May, the very LAST awards assembly at Laie Elementary, Gabriella was FINALLY receiving her Super "C" award. She'd waited ALL year long, and to make matters worse, Hunter was the Super C for his class in the very first assembly of the year. She watch him receive leis and fun things and had to wait for her turn... well it had arrived!

That is, after Hunter was awarded for completing a running program that took place during the year at lunchtime recess. This program is called Geckos on the Move and encourages the kids to run around the track (to help with fitness) during their lunch recess. If a student met the goal of running a total of TWENTY miles (yes, the have parents there who help tally each lap) then that student receives recognition and a T-shirt.

Well, my friend, Emily who you see in the picture awarding the students sent me this email:
"I just wanted to tell you about this before I forgot. Hunter has been a pro at running in the PTCO geckos on the move recess running program. But he wasn't quite at 20 miles, and
we promised the kids t-shirts if they ran 20 miles. So on the last day, Hunter asked how many laps he had to do. I checked, and he had 9 laps to do. That is a lot of laps to do in one
day. But he took off. By the 8th lap, he was dragging. And on the 9th lap, he actually started walking instead of running. I was worried that the whistle would blow and he wouldn't
finish. Some of the other kids were watching and they started yelling, "Go hunter!" We all picked it up, and you should have seen your tired boy perk up to all the cheering, and round
the final corner will full speed and full energy and 30 kids cheering him on. And he did it!"
Needless to say, I cried when I read that. It was tender. I love that the kids love and support one another at their school! It was wonderful! Congrats Hunter!

And here is my dear Gabriella. Excited much?? She was SO READY for this! And awaiting her candy leis! My kids are nuts about candy... can't imagine why?? (They are definitely my children.)
Gabriella with her award, poster and candy leis- she's a happy girl :)
A few days later, she and her best friend, Velzy decided to color themselves with markers! No, it was not washable... nice huh? But they certainly kept themselves busy for an afternoon!
They were "putting on make-up!" Can't you tell? :)
And now we have the infamous images of Kolea and her mysterious affinity for sleeping WHEREVER! This was around lunchtime, after a particularly long morning swimming at Alligator Pond, a favorite beach spot for little kids. She'd been in the shower for a little while and I noticed it was a little too quiet...
A close up of how I found her! I was seriously alarmed because she could literally drown in the little bit of water that pooled around her! But once I saw that it was a mere millimeter away from her lips, I grabbed the camera. :)
I must have disturbed her a little because shortly thereafter she turned her head to get more comfortable. This kid slays me! She is a piece of work. There is no peace in my day unless I know she is sleeping! Hopefully it won't be like that when she's a teenager- heaven help me!
These last couple of pictures take us to the end of the month of May, 2011 when we were cleaning up for the night and River discovered the dishwasher to be open...
This is his favorite toy!

No comments: